Monday, March 5, 2007

NY Times Article and Healthy Competition

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I know I did. I had some quiet time walking around Apex Community Park. While I was walking two young guys (19 & 20 yrs old) stopped me and chatted about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They were nice enough and i was not confrontational/belligerent. We chatted for a couple of minutes and they told me about their faith, invited me to church and gave me a copy of the Book of Mormon. I might check it out later this week. Don't worry i'm not converting. Has anyone had a good/bad experience with Mormons? How about a time when you were witnessing to a complete stranger?

Anyway I was checking out nyimes.com during my lunch break and the most emailed article is: Darwin's God. I have not read the whole thing yet (it's 11 pages long). but the author poses some very interesting questions is her thesis. If you do read it, keep an open mind (that's all us scientists ask you to do) and see if anything interests you. I know for me, the connection or link or non-link that is between science and religion is fascinating. Check it out.

Also, I'm trying to think of stuff that we can do when we get together on the 16th. I am trying to get a ping pong table moved in to the spare bedroom, so we can play. Also if you have a gaming system we could hook that up (i know Malik has one/several, maybe we could persuade him to bring one). Or if you have a board game for a group we could do that. I do have a DVD player if need be. If you can think of anything else to do that would be cool. i'm open to suggestions.

Alright guys. Have a good one.

1 comment:

Steve Stockstill said...

Hey Kev,

Whew, that article is long winded.

I recently read a book entitled "The Case for a Creator". It's written by Lee Strobel a journalist and former athiest. He interviews several scientists in relationship to the concept of a creator vs evolution. It's a fascinating read and by the end makes Darwinism require more faith than belief in God.

As for the 16th, I have a DVD that has several interviews with Richard Foster, the author of our current book. The DVD is "Be Still" and it focuses on contemplative prayer, one of our "Inner Disceplines".